A bridge is used to replace missing teeth, which helps to maintain the shape of your face and alleviate stress on your bite.
A bridge replaces missing teeth with artificial teeth, looks great, and literally bridges the gap where one or more teeth may have been. Your bridge can be made from gold, alloys, porcelain, or a combination of these materials and is bonded onto surrounding teeth for support.
Your prosthodontist will suggest a bridge to:
- Restore the esthetics of your smile
- Give you the ability to properly chew and speak
- Maintain the shape of your face
- Discourage excess wear and tear of teeth because of uneven force distribution
- Prevent remaining teeth from shifting out of position
The success of any dental bridge depends on its foundation. This includes the adjacent teeth, gingiva and bone to which the tooth is attached. Therefore, it's very important to keep your existing teeth, gums, and jaw healthy and strong.